As much as you want to bring your kids outside, you are worried because they might exhibit public tantrums. Their public tantrums embarrass you. Suddenly, they become little fiends instead of adorable angels. You are not alone in this world. There are parents here in Singapore who are worried about their kid’s public tantrums.
You have to understand that like adults, toddlers also experience frustrations. If you are unable to give it (their frustrations), they will surely ask for it until you yield. The good news is that tantrums become infrequent when your child reaches four or six. Instead of shouting at your kids when they exhibit tantrums, it is best to consider the following things:
- Stay calm: You have to stay calm as much as possible. Children can smell tension. It is easy to overreact when everybody’s watching. Take a deep breath first. The effective thing to do is ignore their tantrums.
- Distract: The next thing that you can do is distract your child. You have to take their mind off with whatever they want. There are many distractions here in Singapore.
- Remove: The next thing that you should do is remove your child from the source of his/her frustration.
- Do not yield: It is important that you do not yield. If you yield, your kids will think that they can get what they want.
- Allies: There are people around. Instead of feeling indifferent, you can use the scene to get other people to help you. You can seek alliances to help with handling your kids. Do not be embarrassed because most likely, the people nearby have their own kids and encountered the same scene.
You can eventually handle your kid’s tantrums in time. Good luck!